Wednesday, January 25, 2012

The Globe Theater

If I was living in England during the Shakespearean era, I would probably go see The Taming of the Shrew. This is my favorite of all of Shakespeare's plays, and I think it would be the most exciting to see in person. It is my favorite work of his because it contains a lot of humor, opposed to the normal sappy emotional love story. This play has elements of love and romance, but with a comedic twist. With the audience wrapped around the crowded theater, I imagine this play being a joy to experience. The play would be most enjoyable for me if I was around other people, so I could share a laugh with them. The area with the most people is the ground level, and I think I would want a general admission ticket for the small price of a penny. I imagine myself just being an average citizen, and this is where the normal citizens gathered for the plays as the covered areas with chairs were more expensive. I think the overall atmosphere on the ground level would be more fun for a comedy show, because it is a more open area, and it isn't essential to catch every single detail in the play. The people around are laughing, smiling, and talking to one another as they witness the amusing show put on by the quirky actors. Overall, I think it is a very lighthearted scene, unlike some of Shakespeare's other plays. I understand everything on the stage because it is easier to understand compared to other Shakespeare dramas. I approve of each actor on stage and I enjoy how goofy and obnoxious they are as they provide comic relief throughout the plot of the story. Before the play, I ate lunch with a friend on a hillside overlooking the Thames. Afterwards, we walked to the Globe Theater and arrived about half an hour before the show began to claim a good spot on the ground. We ended up being dead center, about thirty feet from the stage. My seat couldn't have been any better, as I was able to easily see all the action on stage and hear all of the dialogue. After the play, my friend and I are going to a local pub to meet a few other friends that are seeing a different show at another local theater. It should be the perfect ending to a fun-filled day with lots of laughter. I would've enjoyed seeing The Taming of the Shrew at the Globe Theater, as it would've been a one of a kind experience to see  such a famous work  from a well-respected playwright as Shakespeare.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sam,

    Good job on your first post! You did well to respond to many parts of the writing prompt. I especially enjoyed your subtle references to England's geography (eating lunch on a hillside overlooking the Thames). From your post, it's apparent that you know and appreciate much of Shakespeare's "The Taming of the Shrew." I look forward to reading more of your posts in the future.

    ReplyDelete